Cloud Native News - CNN36
About Side effects of Kubernetes CPU limits, graduating TiKV, EndpointSlices insights and Cloud Cost Optimization with HashiCrop Terraform
CNCF & Community
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Announces TiKV Graduation
Key-Value store TiKV is the twelfth project to reach CNCF "graduate" status. Congratulations!
- Scaling Kubernetes Networking With EndpointSlices
Kubernetes EndpointSlices is the answer to some fundamental scalability limitations within Kubernetes networking. Read this article to learn some insights.
- Kubernetes: load-testing and high-load tuning — problems and solutions
"[...] this post is about Kubernetes load-testing in general, and about EC2
instance types, and about networking and DNS, and a couple of other
things around the high-loaded application in a Kubernetes cluster."
- How Wildlife Studios built a Global Multi-Cluster Gaming Infrastructure with Cilium
A case study of Brazilian gaming company Wildlife Studios modernizing their networking stack with Cilium Clustermesh.
- Service proxy, pod, sidecar, oh my!
Ivan Velichko is writing about how a sidecar proxy can prepare legacy software (e.g., software unable to perform retries or timeouts) for a more modern stack. I especially like that he is explaining "why and how" and not advertising for a specific solution.
- KubeCon + CloudNativeCon EU recap: What you need to know about OpenMetrics
People are putting much effort into standardizing metric monitoring via OpenMetrics. This article is a whirlwind tour of the idea.
Containers & Orchestration
- Scale out your Raspberry Pi Nomad cluster to the cloud
Inspired by our article, Johan Siebens tried the same idea with a HashiCrop Nomad setup. Great job!
- Kubernetes: Make your services faster by removing CPU limits
Today I learned: while it is recommended to set CPU limits, they cause some throttling (obviously) and increased latency. This means CPU limits can be problematic for latency-sensitive services. A recommended read!
- Kubernetes clients and dashboards: a comparison
Yolan Vloeberghs and Pieter Vincken listing and evaluating various graphical Kubernetes clients. An excellent read for everyone who is looking for a kubectl alternative.
- One-Step Streaming Migration from DynamoDB into Scylla
"Learn how easy it is to use the Spark-based Scylla Migrator to move your NoSQL data from Amazon DynamoDB into Scylla using DynamoDB Streams."
- cert-manager reaches v1
Three years after its first release, cert-manager finally hits 1.0. Being a "symbolic release", cert-manager officially claims to be production-ready with some commitment to a stable API and backward compatibility.
- Building a Multi Cluster Authentication Portal
This article explains how to use OpenUinson to enable (Multi) Cluster authentication to automate cluster authentication and onboarding.
- Spinnaker @ GIPHY
GIPHY provides some insights into why and how it uses Spinnaker.
- A Guide to Cloud Cost Optimization with HashiCorp Terraform
"Engineers are becoming the new cloud financial controllers as finance teams begin to lose some of their direct control over new fast-paced, on-demand infrastructure consumption models driven by the cloud. So the question becomes: What are the people, processes, and technologies I can use to navigate this sea change?"
- Contrasting NATS with Apache Kafka
Heard about NATS and think about the pros and cons to Kafka? This article is a good overview!
Photo by Steve Harvey on Unsplash